BlueField Multicore System on Chip
BlueField™ Multicore System on Chip
The BlueField family of products is a highly integrated system-on-a-chip (SoC), optimized for NVMe storage systems, Network Functions Virtualization (NFV), security systems, and embedded appliances. BlueField integrates the Mellanox ConnectX® interconnect and ARM processor architectures into a single device. Software developers can leverage the broad ARM ecosystem and software from the open communities for greater market reach and business opportunities.
The BlueField family of SoC devices integrates an array of 64-bit ARMv8 A72 cores interconnected by a coherent mesh network, DDR4 memory controllers, multiple Ethernet/ InfiniBand ports supporting 10/25/40/50/100Gb/s, an integrated PCIe switch with multi-port PCIe Gen 3.0/4.0 supporting EP SR-IOV and RC functionality. The SoC targets I/O-intensive and compute intensive applications that combine data-plane and control-plane services for storage and networking.
The BlueField Reference Platform exposes all the features of Mellanox's BlueField SoC in a convenient 2U Linux box, enabling evaluation, development, and processing of sophisticated software solutions for Storage, Networking and Machine Learning environments. With two 100Gb/s Ethernet or InfiniBand interfaces, 16-core BlueField processor and up to 512GB of RDIMM DDR4 memory, the BlueField Reference Platform delivers low latency and high throughput in a multi-purpose fully-programmable hardware environment.
The reference platform features an NVMe-ready modular midplane and two x16 PCIe slots, enabling Storage applications to take advantage of the platform’s flexibility by connecting up to 16 SSDs. The internal PCIe slots can also be used for other options, for example, adding two GPUs to the main board for Machine Learning programmability.
Targeted Storage Applications
- NVMe SSD All-Flash Arrays (AFAs)
- NVMe over Fabric (NVMf) drive controller
- Server caching
- Disaggregated rack storage
- Scale-out direct-attached storage
- Storage RAID
L2-L7 Networking Applications
- Software-programmable server adapter with Open VSwitch (OVS), and Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) offload
- Hardware offload adapter for HPC, cloud, and Web access
- InfiniBand host adapter with advanced RDMA and out-of-order support
- Accelerated I/O front-end processor for embedded networking and security appliances
GPU Clustering Applications
- Multi-GPU controller, utilizing Mellanox PeerDirect™ acceleration
- High efficiency RDMA access eliminates unnecessary internal data copies between GPU/CPU